Saturday, March 07, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 17 - Speak


What languages can you speak? I am so envious of people who have a very good grasp of another language other than their native tongue. My wife speaks French and even though she had not been around speakers of it very much, she is still able to understand it and speak it well enough to carry on a conversation.

I myself have always wanted to know another language. German and Spanish was offered in high school. I had no interest in speaking Spanish (and still don't) but had a great desire to learn German, but I was barely able to handle the English classes I was taking, so I could not see how in the world I could have even have succeeded in taking a German language class. I wish I had.

I took a beginning German class in college but it did not stick very well. I dabbled in some online/computer based courses but even those have limitations that can make commitment difficult.

Fast forward to when we became friends with some German exchange students and then our own time of hosting an exchange student from Germany. These kids (especially Wolf Burkhardt) became family to us and I cannot wait to see them again in their own country and speak to them in their own language.

To my advantage I found out that I am able to take one class a semester for free at Parkland College (Thank you Parkland!!) and I did not hesitate to sign up for the German language class. And the timing was good too. The class is being taught by a new instructor that is absolutely fantastic! I am actually learning the language!
My brain feels like it is being exercised like going to the gym! I love it.

I don't know why we Americans don't teach our kids to speak another language at young ages in school. I think it makes them a better person and I think it helps make them more of a member of the world.

It is not easy learning a new language, but I encourage you to do it. Lernen Sie eine neue Sprache! Sie werden es nicht bereuen.

No comments: