Sunday, March 08, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 18 - Celebrate - Part 3


Today is another day to celebrate special people with the Lenten Photo Challenge and this time I celebrate my Sunday Night Sci-Fi kids!

About two years ago, a number of the kids in this group did not have access to watch The Walking Dead. We on the other hand, had our TiVo DVR and had recorded most of the season they were unable to watch. So we invited them over to watch the series with us. It has continued to this day with us still watching The Walking Dead when the new season comes out. We also watch other Sci-Fi shows to fill the in between times and my wife and I have introduced them to such fantastic shows like "Firefly", Battlestar Galactica" and others that they have not seen. (...or really need to see!)

But it has become more than just a night to get together to watch Sci-Fi. It has become, at least for me, and I hope for them, a good way to cap off the weekend with friends, food, conversation, and fellowship. We have shared opinions, stories, a few secrets, and fairly large amount of laughs.

I really enjoy connecting with them in this comfortable setting where they can hang out, say what they want to say without being judged, (geeks should not judge one another..) and talk about their feelings and issues with the understanding that my wife and I will hold what they say in confidence. What happens at Sunday Night Sci-Fi (and is watched) stays at Sunday Night Sci-Fi.

These kids... and I really should not call them that... but for lack of a better term, I will, are my friends. Sure they were my daughters friends first but now they are mine too and I feel as strongly about keeping and cultivating their friendship as much as I do any adult friendship I have.

I have really come to look forward to our Sunday nights together and am just a bit disappointed when we have to cancel or postpone.

For me it is a celebration of many things. A celebration of geekiness, a celebration of friendship and celebrating the simple experience of hanging out together and sharing each others company.

(Note on the photo: Not everyone is present in this photo. Some of the group come and go depending on homework, work and other commitments. But no matter who is able to come over, it is a great time!)

No comments: