Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 22 - Wise


Wise. Why does that word always make me think of older people. Older people are wiser seems to be common way of thinking.

I don't know. I know a lot of older people and I would not be taking any of their wise advise. Being older does not necessarily level you up to "Wise Old Geezer" as soon as you hit a certain age. I know people far younger who seem wise beyond their years. But there again, we seem to be talking about age or years lived as a way to become wise.

I think that being wise comes from experiencing life. Sure.. you experience life simply by living it, but are you learning from it?

Many people go through life and never seem to learn from their mistakes. They never seem to wise up, no matter how old they get.

But then there are those people that you meet that just seem to have it all together and no how to deal with life because they seem to have lived it all before. They seem to have an answer for everything and know what to do in every situation. They seem to have all of their knowledge and experience wrapped up together and working well for them. But I think there is something else.

They seem to understand why people do the things they do. Call it empathy or intuition, but they seem to have put some real thought in to what they do, what other have done, and the resulting consequences of their actions or the actions of others. And they seem to have seen the world on a bigger scale. They seem to know more about the world, the people in it and how it all relates together. (.... interesting. Maybe being wise, or having "wisdom" has something to do with knowledge... the word of the day from yesterday....)

But then again, some of the smartest people I know have little to no wisdom and could not "wise" their way out of a paper bag.

I don't think I am very wise. But I know a few wise people and I will learn from them. In the meantime I will experience life, see as big a part of it and its people as I can, and never give up on the quest for more knowledge. Unfortunately that all takes a lot of time.

No wonder older people are considered to wise.

I don't want to wait that long... but a wise person would enjoy the journey to having wisdom.




No comments: