Monday, March 16, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge; Day 26 - Wilderness


I wish there were more wilderness near where I live. I would visit it more often. Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer areas of wilderness in our country and in our world.

Population and urban growth are creeping into the wilderness. And then there are those people, who like me, would like to have a home and live in the wilderness, but unlike me, they actually have the money and freedom to actually move into it and make it less wild.

I think that is the nature of people to time the wild. Make the wilderness more domesticated. We did it with wolves. Why stop there? I don't think that is a bad thing but we should know where and when to stop. Not every wild area has to have a mulched trail and port-a-potty for our convenience. Some people are just not made to be in the wilderness.

But we keep bringing civilization to the wilderness. There is a whole political discussion that could be done on this topic but I don't have the brains or time to do that here. I just would like there to be more wilderness and limits to our incursions into it.

I want my kids and their kids to know what a wilderness is.... and not by having to travel to the city.


The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders.
Edward Abbey

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
Henry David Thoreau

In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia.
Charles Lindbergh

The continued existence of wildlife and wilderness is important to the quality of life of humans.
Jim Fowler

No comments: