Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 29 Light


I have a pretty bright life. There are a lot of lights in my life who have helped guide me, helped me and stand by me and make me into the person I am today.

Obviously, my parents and my wife are the brightest lights in my life. They are the people who have and had the most influence on me and they truly are my guiding lights.

But I want to shine a light on some of the other people that need recognition for being a bright shining light in my life.

First there is the school librarian that worked at my grade school and high school. His name is Rick Dulaney and I have to say he was a very bright light for me. He was like a gatekeeper to a myriad of stories, subjects, information and entertainment that I might not have discovered if not for him. He is probably responsible for turning me onto new genres of Sci Fi and Fantasy and for piquing my interest in reading the Lord of the Rings in grade school. Once I read that, there was no going back. My path down the road to geekiness was set. Thank you Rick!

Another light was a history teacher I had in High School. Steve Selle was the teacher I had for a number of classes and he showed me the history was not just reading about books and dates and names. He encouraged me to think about history instead of read about it and from there the rest is history... no pun intended! Thank you Steve!

Another very bright light in my life is my buddy Rick Feller. What can I say about him. He and I are very similar in so many ways that often I think we share the same brain... I got the smarter half though. I cannot ever say that I have ever had a bad time spent with Rick. We can talk for hours about all kinds of things. We may not know all of the answers in life but we can sure talk about them and try to make reasonable answers for those questions that need answers. Rick is one of the best. Thank you Rick!

Right along there with Rick is my friend Dave Buhr. Simply said, there is nothing that Dave and I can't do if we put our minds to it. Dave is a solid rock friend. Absolutely loyal to the end and someone that I can always depend to have my back. He has proven it time and time again. Everyone needs a friend like him and I am fortunate to have one. Thank you Dave!

And finally, but certainly not the least light, is my sister Donna Kopmann. I am close with all of my siblings and thing the world of them, but it is Donna that thinks the most like me and someone that I really look up to. She is someone that I can turn to for anything. She is always full of energy, always in a good mood and ready for fun. In bad, crazy situations, she is the calm. When a plan is needed, she is the one heading it up. Things happen when she is involved and I am glad to have her as my sister. Thank you Donna!

I am fortunate to have so many lights in my life. I can only hope that I can be a light to others as these people have been a light to me.

No comments: