Monday, March 23, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 32 - Celebrate part 5


I missed posting this yesterday, so I apologize for that but here it is!

Today (and actually I should every day) I celebrate the number one girl in my life, Cordelia.

I have a ton of fun with this girl. Life has pretty much been a party since I met her.

When we met (Ask her how we met... she seems to get a kick out of it and tells it better (or embellishes) than I do) we probably could not have been more different.

"City" girl meets small town boy.

"World traveller" meets summer vacationer.

Child of professors meets child of grade school and high school graduates.

Agnostic, religious "wonderer" meets German Lutheran.

"Liberal" thinker meets conservative.

"Wild" girl meets arrow straight boy.

Child of divorce meets kid who lived in one house his entire life.

Those things in quotes means that to me at the time when we met and dated, that is what I thought she was like and all of those things that you might go along with that kind of "description".

But as we dated, and I don't really think we "dated' for that long, we got to know each other pretty well and I found out that she was not what I thought she was. Even after we got married, started our lives together and even had kids, I still learned more and more about her.

She really was not a city girl. I think all the time she wanted to be from someplace small. Maybe not Claytonville IL small, but certainly someplace like Paxton IL small.

Yeah, she lived in France and travelled Europe a bit, but her travels were more from necessity than pleasure or vacation. I think that maybe I actually traveled more than her in my youth but, still it made her seem very worldly to me!

I was intimidated by her parents but she did and will still say that my parents are just as smart as anyone that has a degree. Even smarter in other ways a degree will never make you.

For a very long time, religion, faith and belief were kind of a mystery to her. For most of her younger years, she was given the impression that organized religion, and maybe even faith, was something to be laughed at. Not that she did however. She is too kind and considerate to think that, because I think she was searching for her own belief and faith, and as it turns out, it was there, she just needed the confidence to accept it. And believe in it.

I don't know if she truly ever was a "liberal" but maybe just socialized was in circles of liberal thinkers and so went the way of the crowd. (Even though she has never really been a follower.) In reality, she is a conservative. (on the moderate side) And the kind of conservative that scares liberals... a conservative that thinks.

She was probably a wild child compared to me... Hell, a koala bear could be considered a wild child compared to me in my youth.... not really but you get what I mean. I probably would not have hung out with her in high school if I knew her then, but in the end, her "mis-spent youth" has served her well as a parent. She makes a hell of a great mom to my kids and to a whole bunch more young kids in our town.

Yes, her parents divorced when she was about 9 or 10 years old and she was, as most kids are, at the mercy of two sets of parents that, while concerned about her well being, maybe were more concerned about how conveniently she fit into their lives instead of the other way round. Having experienced this, I think it set her up to be a mother that is aggressively passionate about making sure that her kids are not inconvenienced by any issues or faults that she might have, which I am here to tell you, are few and far between. And I am pretty sure that I will never have to worry about ever packing out house up and moving anywhere.... ever.

So there you have it... just a few reasons I celebrate my wife during this Lenten Photo Challenge.

She deserves from me than just one day. But I celebrate her now with this blog post.

Here's to her! I am glad she is mine!


No comments: