Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge - Day 34 - Mercy


mer·cy

noun
1.
compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.



I can't say that I have ever been in a position to offer mercy to anyone. At least I don't think so. And I should ever find myself in a position to offer mercy, I hope I can find that compassion to give it.

<<< I actually had to think about this for a bit.... and then....>>>


...Actually I can think of one time where I was the one directly capable of giving mercy to someone who I could easily allowed to be punished by the rule of the law.

I will not go into any details about it, but harm and damage was done by a person to another (or group of others) and the offending person was allowed to try to make amends as a punishment. However, if these amends were not followed through on, far worse punishment was likely to come to this person. Time was given and efforts made to help the offender to make right. It did not happen.

Time had ran out and a very strict punishment was going to be meted out on this person and it was the opinion that it should be allowed to happen. I was also of this opinion. I wanted the punishment to happen.

But sitting in the room when the punishment would be read, one last chance was made to all involved to determine if another chance could be given. It was not likely to fall on receptive ears. Especially when the request for "mercy" was given. The offender did not even make the request. It was simply a determination that if agreed upon, the new and harsher punishment would be given and the consequences would follow.

I could not stand the fact that the offender would not ask. There was seemingly no concern for what would happen when this new punishment came down. What it would do to the offending person's own self and members of their family. Nothing. Simply sitting back and allowing it to happen.

I could not. I could not let it happen. Despite what I wanted to happen, (and believe me, I wanted punishment) I spoke up and told this offender exactly what was going to happen and what they were going to do to make it right and asked everyone else involved that one more chance be given.

And one more chance was given.

And I know that in the end, it was the right thing to do. It did not feel like the right thing to do at the time, but now, with years to look back on it, it was definitely the right thing to do.

I suppose that I would still be able to live with myself had mercy not been given. I am sure of it. But I like that mercy, on the part of everyone involved, was given. It worked out for the better.

No comments: