Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 41 - Call


I am not sure but I think I found what the call is for me in my life.

I think it is being involved in the lives of young people, primarily students.

I truly enjoy hanging out with people who are sometimes more than half of my age, in both a educational, instruction, or leadership capacity. I have been, or am a scout leader, a substitute teacher, youth group leader, instructor and tour guide.

But I also really enjoy just hanging out with them in a social way. Like the Sci-Fi Sunday nights we host, or game nights or simple evenings around a fire in the backyard.

I enjoy being able to be included as both instructor and friend.

Being employed at Parkland is perfect for me. I can be educator, instructor, leader and friend. Some might say that you should not become friends with students as it can cloud your dealings with them but sometimes that is hard to do. I meet an incredible group of students and young people through my job and my involvement with the local high school and church.

I was told at one time to remain somewhat aloof and separated from students to have their respect. But I disagree with that. I feel is my call to be in the dirt with them, in the books with them, and in-volved with them and earn their respect.

And with it maybe their friendship too.

No comments: