Thursday, March 05, 2015

Photo Lenten Challenge: Day 15 - Follow


Today I was inspired by "Throwback Thursday" to make this my photo for the Lenten Photo Challenge.

It was a photo I took when I did a quick turn around to see if the kids I was responsible for were following me down the streets of New Orleans.

This was the last day of our Lutheran Youth Gathering trip when my wife and I and three other adults took a bunch of the kids from our church there for the National Lutheran Youth Gathering. We had just attended the Sunday services at the St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square and were heading back to the hotel.

It was an amazing time and I have some of my best memories from that trip. It was the second time I was there with high school aged kids following me around the streets of New Orleans.

And I get to do it again! In April I will be chaperoning over 80 marching band students from our local school as they visit New Orleans to perform in various places (one being the National WWII Museum) around New Orleans and getting some direction from some excellent conductors and instructors located there. It will be another amazing time!

But that is besides the point. These students were looking for someone to follow. Someone to plan, organize and direct these trips. Someone they could depend on to make it memorable and worthwhile.

I was happy to be that person. (with the help of others too, of course...)

I loved being their leader. The person they followed. And I am glad they had a great time and made great memories on that trip.

But I don't want them to follow. I don't want them to be followers but to be leaders. I wanted (and want) to lead by example so that they and others can become leaders in their own right with their own followers who will look to them for the right path, the right direction.

I don't like to follow. Sometimes I have to, but I would rather lead. And I want all of the young people I involve myself with to be leaders. Not followers.

No comments: