Saturday, April 04, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 45 - Refuge


Hopefully you have a refuge. My refuge is a comfortable home in a wonderful little town called Paxton. I love living in a small town. I grew up in a small town. (Really small. 50 people) I love everything about my small town.

When Cordelia and I decided to buy a home, we knew that we could not live in Champaign. One, we could not afford to live there and two, I just had had enough of the big city. We decided to look outside of Champaign, but I wanted to make sure we were not any further away from my family home in Claytonville and not to far from Champaign for travelling to work.

We looked at a number of houses all over, and eventually we looked at homes in Paxton at the suggestion of our realtor. Thank goodness we did.

Moving to Paxton was the best thing we did as a couple, next to having kids. Living in Paxton has been more rewarding that you can imagine. This town and its people have given us so much in the way of comfort, friendship, social activities and community.

When people bad mouth small towns and say how much they hate them, it makes me mad. Maybe the town isn't the problem. Maybe they are. Maybe they are not giving the town a chance, or maybe they are looking for something that cannot be found in a small town. Maybe they need the anonymity of a big city or have bigger needs.

I for one could not imagine having the life I have in a town bigger than were I am living now.

My town in my comfort. It is were I feel safe to be what I want to be. It centers me.

When the world looks so scary and upside down, it is my refuge.

No comments: