Sunday, February 21, 2016

CELEBRATE

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 12

Celebrate

Today I am celebrating three things!


First, I took my mom to church today and so I celebrate the fact that the church of my childhood is back after a devastating fire that destroyed everything. Nothing survived from the church that was built in 1875. But now, the church is rebuilt, and services are back in a new building. Things don't look the same. Things don't sound the same. Things don't even smell the same in the new building. Everything is new. Nothing is familiar. It's all sparkly brand new! And to add to that, the pastor of the last 10 years or so has left to take another call in another church so they are looking for a new pastor. Everything is a new start for this old church. But all will be well. They are going through growing pains that they never expected to have to experience, but they will make it through. It is a pleasure to attend with my mom and see the same faces that I remember from my childhood. And I celebrate that they are moving forward.


Secondly, I celebrate this wonderful plate full of comfort. My mom makes this concoction that my family calls "tuna fish and peas." To some it might look like what some in the military call "SOS" or "S#@& On a Shingle" but is anything like that. It is one of my favorite comfort food and my mom is the only one that makes it and for me it is thing to celebrate because my mom made it for me today for lunch!


And third, I celebrate my mom. I love my mom. She is 88 years old and suffers from the aches and pains that you might expect an 88 year old would suffer from. But despite this, she is a very healthy person and all of those pains go away when she can be with her family and friends. I can kind of understand how she feels. I too feel "more alive" and "happier" when my kids are around and I try to keep that in mind when she calls and says she is lonely or not feeling well. So I celebrate that we were able to spend some quality time together today.

No comments: