Monday, February 15, 2016

SETTLE

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 6

Settle

These are the headstones of the first "Geiken's" of my direct line of ancestry to settle in the USA. I don't know much about them other than they were "arbeiters" (workers) according to records. I don't know why they came to settle in America instead of staying in Germany. I know they came with their entire family in tow and made a life for themselves here in Illinois and their descendants still live in the same area that they settled in. This summer I get to travel to their homeland and see where they came from. I realize that it will be a far different land from whence they came but I can't help but think it will put me in touch just a little more about why they decided to leave ad settle in a new land. I don't know if I could have done what they did. I don't know the reasons behind their leaving home, but I am glad they did. Without their picking up roots and settling in a new land, I would not be where I am today or be part of the big, wonderful family that I belong to!

No comments: